Customer Problems We Have Solved

Find Leads

B2B databases and analytics expertise delivers high value leads.

Keep Customers

Predict likely to renew, prioritize at-risk customers for renewal.

Grow Revenue

Proactively cross-sell to grow existing customer value.

Stay Productive

Get insight on sales effectiveness to foster productivity.



Fleetmatics helps small to enterprise businesses be more efficient with their fleets.

Problem: High-quality data was required to support sales growth.

Solution: Designed and executed a data cleansing, sourced targeted leads, implemented cfMAPP geo-analytics application.

Result: High quality, relevant data.  Over 150% increase in quality leads and 30% growth in conversions.


We serve mid-market and enterprise customers in the US with presence in global markets.


Predict next customer purchase, drive campaign ROI, create customer segmentation


Assess market size, define rep productivity, deliver high value leads



Visualize sales intelligence, align sales and marketing on enterprise accounts

H.B. Fuller

H.B. Fuller is a global provider of adhesives, sealants and specialty chemicals to improve products and lives.


Problem: While reps kept track of the top 20% customers, there was attrition among the other 80% without proactive intervention.

Solution: Valgen implemented cfTIME Salesforce app that predicted the purchase cycle and gave color coded signals ahead of time.

Result: HB Fuller estimated $10M in revenue was retained annually that would otherwise been lost from at-risk customers.




  • Great Prospecting Tool! – CFMAPP has most definitely been a positive "game changer" for myself and our office! With knowing the closest "name drops" this helps credibility and makes the calls a little bit warmer. Great Tool, love it!

    Stokes Warren
  • Data I Can Use – This is a powerful tool that is specific to my needs, allowing me to connect with my potential customers on a consultative level. Easy to use and navigate.

    Kari Krumlauf
  • I cannot say enough about Valgen’s response times, their ability to turn out quality reports, and their willingness to work through complex analyses with varied and disparate datasets. Not only are they excellent at pulling the data in exactly the ways that we need, but they are also a key partner in helping us present data to clients both in terms of outputs and methodology.

    Geoff Baillie – Manager, Business Analytics, Spiceworks
  • The data is never going to be 100% perfect. That’s why you have to be able to trust your team, you have to be able to trust your partners [Valgen], to be able to get you through those bumps and hiccups.”

    Dave Brown – Vice President of Sales, Fleetmatics
  • Valgen has tremendous depth of capabilities and expertise to suit our complex needs. They always deliver.

    Angie Henkel – Sales and Marketing Database Manager, Fleetmatics



Molex is a global supplier of inter-connectors to the electronics industry.

Problem: Sales had a very limited understanding of customer purchase behavior before a visit.

Solution: Valgen mined millions of transactions and user attributes to detect advance signals, presented timely sales intelligence before a rep walked into client meeting.

Result: 200+ sales reps were targeted to utilize the visualization tool. In parallel, marketing ran coordinated campaigns to ensure high customer receptivity.